Monday, November 28, 2011

What Oatmeal?

So I was going to type this letter to my good friends to thank then for the care package. But I figured I would share it with everyone...

The Byrds-

So I'm not sure if you all had heard, but I went from my American base in Afghanistan to a French base... In Afghanistan. So here I am, not speaking a word of French, as the only American in the command post. Its pretty crazy. I am running all the aviation stuff for the French since they cant do it alone. I get to eat at a French DFAC, with French Chef's and we take coffee breaks about 5 times a day it seems. I really don't have many complaints. The espresso machine was broken yesterday so that was pretty bad I guess. The hours are long but I enjoy the work. I have nothing to go back to in my room since the Blackhawk crewchief literally through my Assault Pack off the aircraft. The second I saw it happen I knew my laptop was toast. It was completely smashed. One more reason why I hate Blackhawks.

All this brings my to the next part of this saga. So today two Apaches arrived and told me they had my mail. Which turned out to be a package from you two. This made my freaking day. The French don't really snack and 90% of their food is not what I would consider healthy. So I was thrilled to get a but of good old "Merican" food. When I got this package of the aircraft I was incredibly busy. One of my jobs is pretty much air traffic control for all the helicopters in and out of here. So I set my box to the side and finished getting all the flights and people in and out. When things calmed down I went down to get my box only to discover it was opened and empty except for the letter from you all. Needless to say, I was pissed and terribly confused as to who would have done this. I looked around and about 20 yards away was a couple of locals (Afghans) who were hired to work on the gravel roads of the FOB were trying not to make eye contact. There was a empty RedBull can nearby and the young one on a steam roller was eating something. I went over there to see what was going on and to my surprise he is eating a Nature Valley Granola Bar. Well, they dont sell those at the local market, i do know that. I ask him if he took my stuff and he shrugs, "like oh, I dont understand but I am pretty sure you want to kick my ass...." I make a few more gestures to my empty box and him and he points to his stomach like, "yeah I ate it and it was awesome, tell them thanks." At this point my blood was boiling, and I slapped the granola bar out of his hand. As I did that I noticed something the engine compartment to the steam roller. It was Quaker freaking Oatmeal. I know, that didn't just appear there, and I have yet to see an oatmeal powered car! I point and yell at him and he just looks like, "what oatmeal?"

I quickly remove him from his seat on the roller, very much against his will, and open the engine compartment, and to my surprise its packed with granola bars, various trail mixes, Rebull, and other goodies. I retrieve all my stuff back from this dirty lil haj and re pack my box. He keeps looking at me and motioning like he is hungry and wants some of the stuff. I tell him a few things in English that I am sure he doesn't understand, all of which is probably for the better. He motions again like he is hungry and wants my stuff that he stole, and since it is the season of giving I pick the granola bar up off the ground that I previously slapped out of his hands, and give it back to him. He smiles and takes a bite.

I am still really pissed about it, but I guess I will let it go. A few years ago and in a different country it would have ended badly for this guy. I suppose I have grown out of that phase. Having a son also changes things, he is the first thing I think of any time I do something. I think, "how is this going to affect him if I do/don't do it". The thought also crosses my mind with these people, they have kids, like mine, but dirtier, that need to eat and need warm clothes. This guy has a job, that pays him so he can provide for his kids, and probably fund terrorism. If I were to have thrown him off the FOB then there is no telling if he would one day show back up with a car full of explosives.

Thank you all so much for everything that you all have done. I hope you all are doing well, and I will be thinking about you all through the holidays, while i sip cappuccinos with the French.

I have my stuff. He has a job. Win.

JAKE

1 comment:

  1. quite a difficult task you had to go through to get your granola! who knew healthy food was in such high demand.

    that's pretty darn funny. glad you got most of it back... maybe that just means everyone needs to send you more! & you should drink more coffee. that's always my theory anyway.

    miss you!!! proud of you.

    ReplyDelete