This Saturday I was able to get around the base and see what
all there is out here. I had a few things I had to do and once I was done I was
able to wander around a bit. If you never left the wire here you would never realize
there is even a war going on. This place is ridiculous.
On my list of things to do was get a haircut. I didn’t see
any barber shops but I did see a “Beauty with Spa” sign and figured that it
would suffice. I got a great haircut, I got my hair washed, and a massage for
$10. This is an obvious step up from trading Redbulls to my roommate to cut my
hair while in Iraq. Next I wandered around a fairly large PX and looked at all
the countless ways I could waste my money, and at all the other soldiers that
had successfully found ways to waste theirs. From there I stepped over to what
has become all too familiar at big air bases like this, Pizza Hut. I figured I would treat myself to a slice
while I was out and maybe a Coke too so I headed inside. (Side note: Up until
this point have not had any soda since I left the US. For me that’s pretty
tough. I love sodas.)
While standing in the rather long line I began watching the
rugby match that was on the TV. It was France vs. England, live from Rugby
World Cup in New Zealand being shown on some sort of hotwired Indian Dish
Network. As I am watching this match a
large group of French soldiers get in line behind me all ready to order pizzas
and watch the match. As I am standing there in line I am routing for England quietly
to myself. A French soldier who speaks
English about as well as I speak French, starts asking me about the match and
then ask “who am I for…” I am by myself here and don’t really care to tell this
group of guys that I don’t like the French or their rugby team, so I make a
motion to the group and say “well, I guess I am for the French!” With that news
they cheer and all want to shake my hand. Then one offers to buy me lunch and
eat with them. I am not one to turn down Pizza Hut in Afghanistan so I agree
and spend the next 80 minutes watching a great rugby match with about a dozen
French soldiers and two Norwegians that later joined us. It was an awesome experience
and has begun to change my view of the French. Oh, and the French won if you
were wondering.
Later that day I was able to top it all off by watching OU dismantle
Texas on my little 15” screen. It wasn’t in HD, I didn’t have surround sound
and the picture is what I would describe as “crappy” at best. But despite all
that I was able to watch the game and loved every minute of it. It was a little
bit of home over here and was great.
So by the end of the day, I had the French buy my lunch and
got to watch some rugby. I got a cell phone and my hair cut and washed. Then
capped it all off with watching another great Sooner victory. Doesn’t really sound like a warzone to me. At
least not what I am use to. This pilot gig really is pretty nice.
“I know you feel it too, these words seem so untrue…” Tegan
& Sara
No comments:
Post a Comment